[SunRescue] poor man's wireless ethernet

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 23 13:54:58 CST 2001

A year ago, Toshiba settled a lawsuit based on faulty floppy controllers
being built in to their laptops for years (10+ IIRC) after a flaw was found
and a revised part was developed. The floppy controller was capable of
losing data under a very particular scenario, unlikely in most user
applications.

Toshiba's settlement was to provide every toshiba owner with one of the
"problem" laptops with a credit good towards $250 of Toshiba accessories or
computer hardware, and the cards were transferable. Then, for laptops still
under warranty, there was a sliding scale to determine how much of an
"additional" "award" you were entitled to. THe basis was how recently you
purchased your laptop, not the cost of the laptop.

I bought a Toshiba Portege 3010ct (thin laptop) for $1200 just before I
learned of this settlement, and only 14 months later I got my $250 FreeCard
and $440 cash. After I learned about the settlement, I purchased an
off-model Toshiba Tecra 8000 laptop (their top of the line model), but with
a PII/266, 12.1" screen, and a three-year warranty) for $1200 - and I got
back *another* $250 FreeCard, and another $440 cash.

I used the FreeCards for my 3Com 802.11b cards, and they were about
$210/each after S/H & Tax. I still have some credit, don't know what I'll do
with it (about $40-50)...

See the Toshiba web site (or slashdot.org) for further information...

Ken