[SunRescue] Fwd: Re: which driver do I need in the kernel for sound in a sparc LX?

Mike Hebel rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jan 19 13:53:37 CST 2001

>>On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, John F. Davis wrote:
>>
>>> Anybody know which of these chipsets is in a Sparc LX?
>>
>>The LX uses dbri (with a cs4215 codec).

FWIW - If you use anything but Solaris or Debian Linux you will not be able
to get sound out of the machine properly.  Even Debian has bugs, (outputs on
all ports unless you upgrade to the 2.4 kernel - etc.), Solaris seems to be
about the only stable one to use the sound correctly on the DBRI hardware.

Debian is a close second though - I'm currently using it to turn an LX into
a car MP3 player.  All I need to do now is get a Matrix Orbital display with
keypad and program a good menu system for it.  Maximum Linux
(www.maximumlinux.com) just had a good article on doing this in their
January issue.  (They're the _only_ magazine I actually have bought a
subscription to.  A good magazine!)

Mike Hebel