[SunRescue] Max. Size Hard Disk Installable in SparcStorage Array Model 100?

Corda Albert J DLVA rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jan 19 10:21:11 CST 2001

Now that I've got my SparcServer 1000 running, I'd like
to try the Storage Array that came with it (It looks like
a model 100, but the model number on the back indicates
model 1010) . I did a doc search on the sun web site,
but was unable to come up with anything that covered basic
installation and configuration of this critter.
I did find some stuff on using it, having to do with the
Volume Manager software (which I _hope_ is included in
the Solaris 8 distribution disk! ) but the docs mention
nothing about hardware setup/configuration.

One of the docs (describing the architecture, from 1994)
indicated that the array could only handle 1 Gb disks. Is
this true? I'd like to put something larger that that
in it, if possible (at least a couple of 4 Gb Disks.) The
docs I do have indicate that the disks don't necessarily
have to be configured as a raid group, so I'm hoping that
I can put less than the 6 disks the `94 architecture manual
indicates as a minimum. (I know this isn't enough to build
a RAID array, but I'd be happy simply to use this as a
disk farm for now.)

Also, is there any required order in which the disks need
to be installed in the 3 drawers?

Any other suggestions on use/setup of this thing would
be greatly appreciated :-)

-Thanks-
-al-
-acorda at geocities.com