[SunRescue] SLC Ram

Geoffrey S. Mendelson rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jan 18 08:55:21 CST 2001

Goldarg wrote:

> The only problem is the system is flaky, Once I get SunOS to boot on it its
> OK but it takes several boots to get
> that far and on occasion I'm getting watchdog resets.
>
> I have done test-memory on the system and when its unhappy its reporting
> bad ram at whichever slot one Certain
> simm is located so I'm looking for a single simm for this beast.

There are only 4 slots on the mother board. The first slot is, if I rememebr
correctly, next to the card edge. The machine uses 1 or 4 meg 36 bit SIMMS.
The ELC accepts 16 meg SIMMs, I don't think the SLC does.

8 meg x 36 SIMMs will also work in it, but you will only get 4 meg.

It will boot SunOS 4.1... with one 4 meg SIMM in it. In fact I've used
an ELC (faster cpu, same display) with 4 meg in it. I've booted Linux
(RedHat 5.?) (helps if you remove most of the deamons) and an Xserver
package that someone put together for remote booting. Gives you a nice X
terminal.

> Does anyone have any suggestions for where to look for Ram that wont cost
> an arm and a leg for my poor little SLC? My hopes
> are to get it up and running diskless netbooting off the linux box I keep
> on my porch monitoring my weather but until I can get ram into it
> I cant play with it enough to succeed.

Note that the SLC needs reverse ARP to boot. AFIK Linux needs an add on
rarpd. Bootp/DHCP just is not enough.  They do boot fine from a SunOS or
Solaris server.

If you do get a CD-ROM to boot it off of, it MUST!!! be hard set for 512
byte sectors.

If you can find an ELC motherboard, that would be a cheap upgrade, almost
doubling performance.

BTW, it would help if you would specify where you are when you post. I'm in
Israel but I know people who are going to the states and the UK.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson
Tel:  972-(0)3-6944-211  Fax: 972-(0)3-6944-225 Email: gmendelson at bloomberg.com