[SunRescue] Re: New Netra

Cyrus M. Reed rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 17 23:59:17 CST 2001

Along with the other uses mentioned, they also work well for Quantum
Mechanics problems.  Somehow the parallel nature of the architecture works
really well on the sparce matrices encountered in such problems (or so
I've been told).  I know someone at my university that is prototyping a
Beowulf cluster with some spare machines for just such a use.  If the
prototype works (sort of a "proof of concept"), then some real money will
probably be put into a full setup.  I think the majority of the "apps" you
will find for Beowulf clusters have been home grown by someone who wants a
particular problem solved.

-Cyrus