[SunRescue] Apple Network Server

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 16 20:49:36 CST 2001

[ On Tuesday, January 16, 2001 at 13:17:41 (-0600), Bill Bradford wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [SunRescue] Apple Network Server
>
> On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 01:46:00PM -0500, mike dombrowski wrote:
> > I've managed to convince myself that I can't live without an Apple
> > Network Server 500 or 700, anyone know where I could get such a
> > machine? I see them on Ebay from time to time but usually they go for a
> > lot. I'd really like to find one in the Detroit area but I might be
> > willing to pay for shipping.
> > Mike
>
> Question- why?  They're just PPC AIX boxes with an Apple logo.

But they run NetBSD now, and they are Apple manufactured.

Apple only used AIX because they'd trashed their A/UX project when the
ANS was announced and because they were already working with IBM and had
people deep in the guts of the AIX source code for other reasons.

They are very reliable servers, lots of redundancy, expandability,
etc. too.

I'd sure take one if I could find one cheap enough....

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>; Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>