[SunRescue] Apple Network Server

David Rouse rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 16 13:34:43 CST 2001

On 1/16/01 at 1:46 PM, mike dombrowski <legodude at home.net> wrote:

>I've managed to convince myself that I can't live without an Apple
>Network Server 500 or 700 ...

Those are great cases and own one (700/1500) myself, but a word (or two) of
warning:

1) The version of AIX is 4.1.4 and isn't totally Y2K. I also haven't been
able to get IBM's Y2K pathces to work. So far the only complaint I get is
about an invalid date in the error manager (?) printed to syslog.

2) I haven't been able to get NFS to work correctly with Solaris 7 clients.
None of my boxes can create directories.

3) Linux support is spotty. I haven't myself bothered trying it.

4) Beware key problems, you have to have the case closed to power it up and
if the keys malfunction that can be a problem.

5) Spares are nearly impossible, I was quoted a 10/100 BaseT card for more
than $400. Anyone know where I can get a better price? (I'd like to start a
fast ethernet suubnet at home).

But I do like my ANS.