[SunRescue] ANybody elses desktop look like this

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jan 15 06:42:07 CST 2001

WABI would allow you to run Windows under Solaris on Intel with pretty
decent speed - it was included in Solaris 2.5.1 media (maybe earlier too,
not sure), but I don't recall which version of Windows, perhaps only Win
3.1, not Win9X.

WABI also ran on Sun/SPARC machines, but the results were less than
spectacular, as it had to emulate the CPU in software, where Intel-based
machines only needed to capture OS calls and re-map them to Solaris ones.

On SPARC side of the house, there was an SBUS SunPC card, that contained an
actual Intel/Compatible CPU, but shared the host machines memory and I/O -
that could run Win9X on an older Sun SPARC machine.

There were also Software-only options, but I have no experience with any of
them.

The most useful option these days would be to have a PC in the corner and
access it via VNC over your network - you could run almost any X86 OS and
have it appear on your desktop.

Modern (Ultra 5/10/++) PCI-based Sun machines also have the option of
running SunPCI cards, a real PC on a PCI card, but with their own video
display out, I/O, and other PC ports. THese tend to have either speedy AMD
CPUs (AMD 400 MHz+) or the newest revision has Intel Celerons. I think these
are Suns best solution to date for local Win9X/WinNT/Win2K solutions on a
PCI-based UltraSPARC platform.

HTH,

Ken