[SunRescue] Installing Security Scanners on Solaris 8

Christopher Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jan 15 05:00:28 CST 2001

All,

A bit earlier I was having a problem installing my favorite scanning tools
nmap and nessus on my U10. The problem SEEMED to be that GTK wasn't working
properly, even when I used the exact version specified etc... etc...

Well I finally fixed my prolem with GTK. It turns out that the sunfreeware
version of GTK doesnt work very well. Why? because the sunfreeware version
of glib which it is dependent on doesnt work too well, because it doesnt put
the correct *.o files in the correct places for gtk to work properly etc...

So I'm here going crazy because I know that I've got gtk installed correctly
but nmap still wont compile, when all the time it was a glib problem. Anyway
I got a non-broken glib and gtk from the gimp site, hand installed them
(damn it takes forever to compile gtk. It goes through half your damned
system libraries I swear) and went to recompile nmap, and IT STILL DIDN'T
WORK!!! It swears it can't find gtk-config, even though I have the path
specified, and I've even set the GTK_CONFIG environment variable.

Ok, so now I'm just a bit pissed, I've spent about four hours on this whole
process. I start looking through makefiles. It turns out that the configure
script for nmap doesn't properly pass the enviroment variable on to the
nmapfe make cache. I.E. gtk-config is right there, but the main configure
script isnt telling the nmapfe configure script about it. So all I did was
compile nmap, then configure, make all, and make install on nmapfe
seperatley.

Now after all of this nmapfe finally works. Once that was done, installing
nessus was a breeze.

I figured this might be of interest to anyone else trying to install these
on their systems. I HIGHLY recommend both nmap and nessus. THey are far
superior to most existing (and expensive) commercial products.

Chris Byrne