[SunRescue] RE: Solaris 1.1 on a 4/330

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jan 14 13:28:20 CST 2001

On January 14, Tim Harrison wrote:
> Tara's doing her first Solaris installation today (that is, if the
> damned CD-ROM drive will work -- doesn't work with my Indys).  She knew
> enough to get me a NeXTcube, and found the RDI BriteLite (which I bought
> for her... she was outbid with 20 seconds left to go, and she wanted it,
> so I outbid the outbidder).  I think she understands, but doesn't like
> the fact that we don't have a real living room.  If I have the space of
> my own, it's okay, it seems.  Hence, the purchase of a house in our near
> future.

  Sounds very cool!

> She loves to hear tell of the mythical figures of the past, and even has
> her own set of links to computer history sites.  The research of the
> parts of the 4/330 were done by her.  It's taken some time, but she's
> learning what it's like.

  Excellent.  I predict you'll walk into the house one day to find her
sneaking into your pdp11/34 and grabbing the precious,
impossible-to-find boot roms for the M9312 board. :)

> >   Ahh, the Hudson!  Is it true that anyone falling into the water gets
> > rushed to an emergency medical facility immediately?  Man, the
> > Chesapeake Bay is starting to get that bad.  Of course, the "public"
> > blames it all on us powerboaters, when those huge factories up in
> > Baltimore keep pumping enormous amounts of lumpy brown garbage into
> > the water.  *sigh*
>
> Well, that depends on where you are.  The Indian Point power facility is
> just down the road, and they use Hudson water for their nefarious uses.
> There's lots of major chemical companies spilling shit into the river,
> but less than 20 years ago.  There is a push for cleaning up, but the
> question of how is still unsolved.  Many want to dredge the river, but
> the powers that be (the chemical companies) don't want to do that, for
> fear of stirring up the polluted silt (which they polluted).

  Nice.  Sounds like soup to me. :-/

> I know lots of friends who swim/jetski/boat around in the waters off of
> Croton Point Park (an ex-landfill, now sporting a beach, and a sectioned
> off area where you're not permitted to go).  I, personally, refuse to go
> near the damned river.

  Nope.  Can't say as I blame you, either.

> About a year ago, there was a "minor" incident at Indian Point, where
> they were forced to vent some radioactive steam.  Supposedly, there's
> less radioactivity in that than the dentist's x-ray device.  My issue
> is, Indian Point is an old facility, with two of the three reactors shut
> down.  What happens if something goes wrong in one of those?

  Eeeeek.  Are they de-fueled?

  Calvert Cliffs nuke plant is about an hour or so from my place.  I
get most of my power from there.  It seems to be pretty cool.  Last
night, some friends and I were just talking about heading out there
for their tour.

> Oh well.  If it ever blows, we'll be dead. :)  Even in Toronto, we
> weren't too far from the Pickering Nuclear Power facility.  I guess you
> can't get away from it.

  Well, as long as they don't screw something up...

> >   But yes, I suppose that makes you reasonably close. :)
>
> Fairly.  Tara says a 6 - 7 hour drive to get to your area.  Just need to
> convince her to take a jaunt down there.  I've never been further south
> than some parts of New Jersey (*gack*) and San Diego on the left coast,

  Watch it, I'm from NJ. ;) It's mostly farmland, though you'd never
know it from looking at shitholes like Newark, which is almost as
dirty as DC and Philadelphia put together. *barf*

> so I'd like to visit that area sometime.  Tara's uncle lives in
> Virginia.  Is that near you?  We could go down to visit him, and stop by
> on the way or somesuch.

  Virginia is right next door, but it's a big state.  Where in
Virginia does he live?

            -Dave McGuire