[SunRescue] RE: Solaris 1.1 on a 4/330

Tim Harrison rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Jan 13 19:30:05 CST 2001

Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Uhh, yeah...At Digex's main facility alone, just up the road from here
> in Beltsville MD, live well over a thousand SunOS 4.1.4 machines that
> are sitting there making money...and getting support contracts bought
> for them from Sun because Digex now sucks so badly that nobody with a
> Unix clue will work for them.  But that's a flamefest for a different
> day.

Not bitter at all, are you Dave. :)

When I was working in Manhattan, we had a client (who shall remain
nameless, but they make pretty good chocolate bars...) who insisted we
host their stuff with Digex.  We literally had to walk some poor sod
through installing Perl on the phone.  It had to be one of the most
painful hosting experiences I've had.  That, and getting them to upgrade
the box from a SS5 to something that could handle the traffic it was
getting.

These people had the clue of my toenail clippings.  Not that *I'm*
bitter.

BTW, did you get my two messages to you privately, Dave?  Somehow, I
think the network I'm connecting to is eating my damned mail.  Don't
know where or how, but so far, three people have complained that they've
not received mail that my mail logs said left my mail server.

--

Tim Harrison
Network Engineer
harrison at timharrison.com