[SunRescue] note on living expenses

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 9 20:41:18 CST 2001

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 08:06:20PM -0500, Tim Harrison wrote:
> "Peter L. Wargo" wrote:
> > $90 for 768/384 ADSL ($80 + $10 to host my domain, includes DNS services
> > and some other goodies.)  One IP, it's all I need....
> Free for 256k SDSL with /28.  I work for the provider. :)

I learned an important lesson over the past 2-3 years.

1.  Never depend upon "free" access from work, unless you can replace it
    quickly and easily if you end up suddenly not working there anymore.
    Sure, 1.5meg SDSL might be nice for free - but that bill is gonna be
    a bitch if you leave/quit/get fired and they say "okay, now pay us
    $500/month for it.."

2.  If you have all your "stuff" (web sites, email, etc) on a colocated
    server, dont locate it at your place of work (no matter how tempting
    free colo might be).  It ties in with #1.

I've got the ADSL from Jump.Net - I had it for "free" when I worked there,
but started paying for it when I left.  Same with ohno.mrbill.net/sunhelp.org -
the machines are colocated at OnRamp, and were when I worked there - but now
I get discounted colo in exchange for helping them out with sysadmin duties
every now and then.

I long ago learned the lesson, "crap, I have to look for a job, and the last
thing I want to have to worry about is finding another ISP as well..."

Bill

--
Bill Bradford | email: mrbill at mrbill.net  ICQ: 1864511
Austin, TX    | MSN Messenger: bigroundeye at hotmail.com