[SunRescue] note on living expenses

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 9 19:34:00 CST 2001

pwargo at basenji.com writes:

>> (Personally, I pay about $80/month for 1.5meg/128K ADSL, with 10 static
>>  IP addresses... that includes the circuit from SWBT, and the service
>>  from Jump.Net)

>$90 for 768/384 ADSL ($80 + $10 to host my domain, includes DNS services
>and some other goodies.)  One IP, it's all I need....

Free 9600 bps (2400 bps on rainy days) UUCP to a friend's machine. :-)

Yeah, that's insane, but I think I'm moving sometime soon, so I'm
procrastinating about the jump to DSL. Ironicly, I have enough gear
here to start my own ISP (T1 CSU & a router to talk to it, plus two
64-port Netblazer terminal servers). Ha ha.

For a while I was maintaining my web site by editing it at home,
creating a tar file on an 8mm tape, and walking to a machine with
DSL. I figured out I was doing about scsi-1 speed with a 2 gig
tape in my pocket on a twenty minute walk.

-------- david fischer -------- dave at cca.org -------- www.cca.org --------
---------- never let reason stand in the way of self-confidence ----------