[SunRescue] Rant on industry employment practices, was RE: 16 MB memory module for Voyager

Mike Hebel rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 9 09:07:52 CST 2001

>>> Funny side story: Remember Geoworks? (PC/GEOS)  They came to Enable
>>> looking for a "killer app" before Win 3.0 came out.  Above dildohead
said
>>> that nobody would go GUI, told 'em no.  Just imagine if it had gone
>>> otherwise...
>>
>>In the same vein...In first year I had a prof who told us he had written
>>an paper back in the 80s, I think.. In it, he predicted that micros would
>>never take off. We had a good laugh when he told us that :)

Those are kind of like the "Linux is a fad!" people now.  They think that
technology will never advance past where it exists right now or that because
you can't do it right now it can never be done.

I had one electronics teacher who was teaching us 6800 (not 68000) assembly
language.  He told us that he was no longer going to tell his classes that
something was impossible.  The reason - he had told a previous class that
they could use the 7-segment LED microprocessor trainers to spell out any
message they wanted because he "knew" they couldn't spell f*ck because you
couldn't make a K on those displays.  Well, needless to say, one of his
students called him over for grading on the project and he walked up to a
training machine flashing "f*ck you" on it's display.  Turns out that the
student figured out that you can alternate two corner segments very rapidly
to create the optical illusion of a slanted segment.  He gave the kid an A.
;-)  I wish more people would learn the lesson he did.

Mike Hebel