[SunRescue] Rant on industry employment practices, was RE: 16MB memory module for Voyager

Cyrus M. Reed rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jan 8 16:46:00 CST 2001

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Reagen Ward wrote:
> I've got WordPerfect 4.2 for DOS (Windows 3.0 was just a dream at the time)
> floppies, 360k 5.25, sitting in a drive box.  Do those things degrade?  I
> don't even have a 5.25 drive anymore.

5.25" floppies tend to go bad after a while, but the 3.5" ones will last
longer as long as their well cared for.  Of my personal disks, I think
I've only seen about one or two 3.5" disks go bad - but I've seen many
more than that die, which wasn't surprising considering the shape that
most were in, like someone had run over them with a car, etc.

-Cyrus