[SunRescue] Re: Router vs. PC with router/firewall software...

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jan 5 18:56:55 CST 2001

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001 paul at anastrophe.com wrote:

> we're talking apples and oranges. NNTPcache isn't adequate for global news
> transit. INN is the wrong tool for a small enduser newsserver with two or
> three readers, unless you're a masochist, and proud of it (i've been
> running INN since 1994, so you know what i am)... :^)

Agreed.  There are other choices for news backbones which have advantages
as well, but INN has the benefit of free source and massive support.  I
stated that NNTPcache was useful to me as a local news accelerator for a
group of local readers with a local INN box as backing store.  There's no
way I'd use it to tie together backbones, caching is too nondeterministic
in terms of availability and bandwidth usage on a broad scale.

Me, I've got a 144/144kbps swizzle stick to the world (hey, that was more
than all of .oz for a heck of a long time!).  Caching proxies are a
godsend.

-James