[SunRescue] Re: Router vs. PC with router/firewall software...

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jan 5 17:28:47 CST 2001

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001 paul at anastrophe.com wrote:

> Those bottlenecks went away years ago when they introduced CNFS, which most
> installations now use. Disks aren't the bottleneck any more - the network
> is.

I consider CNFS prior to 2.3 to be alpha-quality, I had _many_ issues with
it in 2.2.x.  2.3 looks highly promising but has hardly been out for
several years.

Meanwhile, NNTPcache has been using mmap intelligently to cache in storage
pools for over four and a half years.  I've been using it since 1996
myself, starting on a Sun 4/330 running Solaris 2.4.  Solid stuff.

-James