[SunRescue] Re: SS5 upgrade

Kevin Loch rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jan 5 09:41:37 CST 2001

Chris Powell wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Jan 2001 16:16:59 -0500, Kevin Loch wrote:
>
> > SunSwift cards.  The other is a workstation with a LEO and an ATM
> > card.  The LEO is fairly fast, it's nice to be able to use the
> > scroll bar in Netscape again after suffering for years with an S24.
>
> I was under the impression the Leo (ZX? TZX?) card was as slow as a wet
> week and unsupported above Solaris 2.4 (?). The S24 is the card that
> plugs into the AFX socket (between SBus slot 1 and the hard drives)?
> I thought that was pretty speedy....
>
> Chris.

The S24 is very fast for some things, yet other things it's slower than
ZX.  After maximizing the jumpers on the ss5, and A/B comparison between
the two, I decided that the ZX was a better overall experience even
though it was slightly slower on some things.  1280x1024 is nice too :)
There are just some things under X taht the S24 is *extremely* slow at
(netscape scrollbar, minimizing windows, moving windows).  There must be
some bug in the code that makes backing store or some painting operation
very ineficcient.  I was hoping with each release since 2.5 that they
would
fix that but they never did.

KL