[SunRescue] Router vs. PC with router/firewall software...

Mike Hebel rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jan 5 09:30:25 CST 2001

>>> 1 DEC MicroVAX II - telnet.  Just because I want it on the Internet. ;-)
>>
>>Oooh I'm jealous!  I have wanted one of those for a long long time.  I
>>suppose for now I'll just have to be happy with my VAXserver 3100 that I
>>have on the Internet, originally "just because I wanted it on the
>>internet" but I figured I would do something productive with it, so it's
>>now a web server, and works quite well for serving up static web pages.

If I can get the DEC audio board I found on-line to work I might just try
and make it do something obscene like play MP3s. Or at least store them.
*grin* I can almost certainly find a QBUS SCSI card that will work under
NetBSD. That and SAMBA and I have a big drive box.  Since I paid nothing but
gas for the machine I can afford to spend a little on it.

>>The VAXserver 3100 just isn't as "big irony" as the uVAX II though.

Big Iron is right.  It just barely fit in my 89 Sable Wagon.  I had to put
the side panels on the roof!  Thankfully it was summer when I picked it up.

>>Jeff, off to ebay I go to look for one.

If you're not looking for the whole big rack I might be able to point you
towards one that needs the drive replaced in it.  Let me know off-list if
you're interested.

Mike Hebel