[SunRescue] Router vs. PC with router/firewall software...

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jan 5 02:09:14 CST 2001

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Mike Hebel wrote:

> 1 personal news server, maybe.  Specific groups only to keep the drive size
> down.  alt.comp, etc.  (I wonder what it costs to subscribe to a news feed?)

Consider a caching local news server such as NNTPcache:

http://www.nntpcache.org/

It's solid, comes with source code, and is probably free for your intended
use.  Bandwidth is cut dramatically as data is fetched as needed (or can
be prefetched) and newsreaders are very snappy as group metadata is
regularly pulled and cached.

I've found it to be a lifesaver on a relatively slow line.  I used to run
INN locally but it required a large amount of bandwidth to feed all of the
groups I used only occasionally.

OBSunrescue (kind of): Is anyone here familiar enough with the California
motor vehicle code to be able to tell me if a 11200GVWR utility bed pickup
requires commercial registration and all it entails (MC permit, CHP CA #,
etc)?  I'm looking at getting one (to haul Suns, of course!) and though
pickup trucks below 11500GVWR are exempted from commercial status, section
471 of the vehicle code specifically excludes "utility body" trucks from
pickup status without defining exactly what that includes.  Never mind the
fact that if it had an enclosed compartment on the back, it would legally
be a "station wagon" and wouldn't even require commercial plates.

I think I'm going to reread the code and bang my head a few times with a
brick until I get into the same state of mind as whoever wrote it was.
The truck may weigh more than 8000lb unladen anyway, in which case the
entire point is moot.

-James [weight stations are such a pain]