[SunRescue] Router vs. PC with router/firewall software...

Mike Hebel rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jan 5 00:38:17 CST 2001

Basically I'm planning for when I can get DSL into the house which is
looking like some time in the next two months to get the process started.

I just need a good firewall/NAT solution that I either don't have to pay a
lot for or can build myself using the spare PCs/SPARCs I have laying around.

I'm leaning towards a Linux box doing NAT/firewall but if a router will do
that well enough then I'm open to that suggestion as well.

Here's what I will probably have on my Internet connection:

4 systems used to browse the web, get e-mail, etc.

1 e-mail server.

1 personal news server, maybe.  Specific groups only to keep the drive size
down.  alt.comp, etc.  (I wonder what it costs to subscribe to a news feed?)

1 web server.  For family updates, personal rants, etc.

1 VPN machine.  (Thank any supreme being that you might name - speakeasy.net
is in my area.  They don't care what I run.)

1 bnetd or FSGS server. (BattleNet) Personal use only.

1 ftp server.  Personal use only.

1 DEC MicroVAX II - telnet.  Just because I want it on the Internet. ;-)

There may be other things somewhere down the road but those are the basics I
want.

Mike Hebel