[SunRescue] Finally got DSL

Jeff Workman rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 2 22:35:35 CST 2001

Stoned koala bears drooled eucalyptus spit in awe as mike dombrowski exclaimed:

> >> To confuse hackers, I'd put firewall software on a Win3.1 system -
> how
> >> many scriptjockys were using computers *that long ago*? Security by
> >> obscurity...
> >
> >I know of one family of firewalls built on DOS.  Instead of taking a
> >Network-aware OS and hardening it, they started with a Network-
> ignorant OS and
> >added just enough to make it pass the desired traffic.

While I don't think you can do any packet filtering with it, you can take
an old MSDOS box and run KA9Q atop it as an IP router.  I even used to
have an email somewhere with detailed instructions for how to do so, with
a 286.

Jeff

--
"For competitive reasons we can't tell you the location of our fiber."
	-- An anonymous representative of a very large telco