[SunRescue] E450 with 200MHz CPUs?

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 2 12:10:49 CST 2001

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Mattias Paulsson wrote:

> When we booted the machine it said that there was 2x200MHz CPUs
> installed. Strange, I thought that the slowest CPU you could find in an
> E450 was the 250MHz UltraSPARC-II. A quick search on the web resulted in
> nothing (not even at Sun).
>
> Now I just have to wonder, have bought something that doesn't is
> supported anymore or what is the deal with this box? Please enlighten
> me.
>
> Just don't tell us that we've made a mistake even though it was dirt
> cheap to buy. :-)

They might be different modules but with the wrong jumper settings.  Get
the module part numbers and find out how much e-cache is on each module.

The E450 was supposed to be sold with 250MHz CPUs as the lowest end
configuration, but it was tested and qualified with 200s before the 250s
were ready (as was the U30).  It's possible but very unlikely that you've
got one of the prerelease systems, it's much more likely that someone
either misconfigured the jumpers or swapped in some Ultra 2 CPUs to get
something running.

-James