[SunRescue] Finally got DSL

Tim Harrison rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jan 1 21:42:02 CST 2001

Ken Hansen wrote:

> I see your point, but I would say that putting a firewall on a commodity OS
> is more like putting a lock on a door, but the hinges are on the outside of
> the door (accessible to anyone) with a note indicating where the local
> hardware store is. 8^(

Yeah, that's more applicable.  That, or using IRIX (okay, cheapshot, but
you *knew* someone had to say it ;) ).

> To confuse hackers, I'd put firewall software on a Win3.1 system - how many
> scriptjockys were using computers *that long ago*? Security by obscurity...

I thought about that at one point.  Figured I'd do firewalling on OS/2
or somesuch (I used to be a BIG OS/2 fan -- I'm still big, but OS/2 has
been eclipsed by my UNICES... hey, good word...).  I settled on OpenBSD,
and haven't been disappointed.

--

Tim Harrison
Network Engineer