[SunRescue] Sol8 on dummy machines.....

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Feb 23 22:38:28 CST 2001

jester_123 at yahoo.com writes:

>I've always wanted some kind of ancient, old, weird, small mainframe
>type box. But I wouldn't know where to start. I'd want it to actually work,
>of course. Maybe I could write COBOL or FORTRAN programs on it or
>something. It would have to run on 110 - 220 or 440 is out of the question
>in my old house. But I'd be afraid to just buy or cart home something I know
>nothing about.

>The small Suns I have are relatively easy to keep.  There is plenty of
>documentation, operating systems, everything you need to keep them going.
>But they just don't have the feel of "old iron".  And I wouldn't know the right
>machine if it bit me on the nose.

If you're familiar with Sun, start playing with earlier, VME suns.
Then try a MicroVAX-II or something like that. Not too big, but a good
time-consuming project. :-)

At some point I want to have a functioning PDP-11/45 or 11/70.

--- david fischer --- dave at cca.org --- www.cca.org -----------------------
----------------------- I took one sample and interpolated from there. ---