[SunRescue] Sol8 on dummy machines.....

Eric Hall rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Feb 23 21:18:46 CST 2001

dave at cca.org wrote:

> tadghe at surf-ici.com writes:
>
> ><SNIP>
> >>  to sun, because I wanted to switch from AIX to BSD. (That has nothing to
> >>  do with POWER versus SPARC in general, just the machines that happen to
> >>  be sitting in my living room.)
>
> >You had an RS/6000 in your LIVING ROOM?
> >Please excuse me while I turn Green with Envy.
>
> The used RS/6000 market is just like the used Sun market: if it's ten
> years old you can probably get it for free. I've passed on free ones.
> I'm waiting for something POWER2 based to appear. :-)
>
> I<snip>

I've always wanted some kind of ancient, old, weird, small mainframe
type box. But I wouldn't know where to start. I'd want it to actually work,
of course. Maybe I could write COBOL or FORTRAN programs on it or
something. It would have to run on 110 - 220 or 440 is out of the question
in my old house. But I'd be afraid to just buy or cart home something I know
nothing about.

The small Suns I have are relatively easy to keep.  There is plenty of
documentation, operating systems, everything you need to keep them going.
But they just don't have the feel of "old iron".  And I wouldn't know the right

machine if it bit me on the nose.

Does anyone on this list have anything like that? If so, I would be extremely
interested to hear descriptions of said boxes. This stuff is very interesting!

Eric H