[SunRescue] Which box should I use?

Goldarg rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Feb 23 11:40:05 CST 2001

Howdy!

I need to learn Solaris for work so I have decided to install Solaris 7  on
one of my suns, My question to everyone is which box in which configuration
should I install on?

Box #1 -- The silly choice
16mb ELC
2x 1 gig external drives

Box #2 -- The ram box
SS1 with 64mb of ram
either 1.5 gig internal or 4 gig internal (I don't really want to use the 4
gig since it has a working copy of NetBSD and a lot of personal stuff on it
currently)

Box #3 -- The fast box?
IPC with 48mb of ram
1.5 gig or 4 gig drive (Same case as above)

I believe the IPC is a bit faster than the SS1 is but the SS1 can hold a
little more ram in it which may help more than speed.

I'm planning on running X with my CG6 after install for console use.

The other choice is to put together a PeeCee and try Solaris 8 on it but I
am not sure if there are any big differences between the PC version and the
SPARC version that I would need to watch out for.