[SunRescue] Sun 3/160 trouble

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Feb 22 21:36:32 CST 2001

I recently acquired a Sun 3/160.  I wanted a machine to run NeWS on.
Anyway, with the diag/norm switch set to diag, I can get the machine to
boot.  In the test moniter, I can establish that the external ethernet
port isn't working.  This is backup up by the fact that none of the lights
on my AVI CentreCOM 210T transceiver light up.  This transceiver works
fine on my DECStation.  Once I get to the > prompt, I type b sd(), and the
OS starts to boot, but then it hangs initializing the ethernet device.
Any recommendations?  Should I try and get a new mother board?  Is the
transceiver just incompatible? A seperate ethernet board?  The boot log is
below.  I don't have a moniter yet, so I'm booting to the serial port.

Once this machine is operating properly, I want to switch it from the big
old full height scsi drives to more modern, quite and smaller 3 1/2 in
scsi drives, and see what else I can do to reduce noise since I plan to
actually use this machine as a workstation.

Oh, one more thing.  I've found instructions for converting a type3
keyboard to work on a machine that expects the type4.  Can I reverse the
procedure to use a type4 or type5 keyboard on this machine instead of the
type3?

--
Joshua Boyd

Boot sequence:
>b sd()
Boot: sd(0,0,0)
root on sd0a fstype 4.2
Boot: vmunix
Size: 893160+189568+202104 bytes
SunOS Release 4.1.1 (GENERIC) #1: Sat Oct 13 06:05:48 PDT 1990
Copyright (c) 1983-1990, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
mem = 8192K (0x800000)
avail mem = 6791168
Ethernet address = 8:0
sc0 at vme24d16 0x200000 vec 0x40
st0 at sc0 slave 32
st1 at sc0 slave 40
sr0 at sc0 slave 48
sd0 at sc0 slave 0
sd0:  <SUN0424 cyl 1151 alt 2 hd 9 sec 80>
sd1 at sc0 slave 1
sd2 at sc0 slave 8
sd2:  <SUN0424 cyl 1151 alt 2 hd 9 sec 80>
sd3 at sc0 slave 9
sd4 at sc0 slave 16
sd6 at sc0 slave 24
zs0 at obio 0x20000 pri 3
zs1 at obio 0x0 pri 3
ie0 at obio 0xc0000 pri 3
bwtwo0 at obmem 0xff000000 pri 4
bwtwo0: resolution 1152 x 900
WARNING: TOD clock not initialized -- CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!
root on sd0a fstype 4.2
swap on sd0b fstype spec size 32760K
dump on sd0b fstype spec size 32736K
ie0:ocrrier