[SunRescue] Solaris 8 (on a 386/16 crate.....well almost!)

Gil Young rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Feb 22 16:59:38 CST 2001

Man-oh-man!  The last time I ran any Sun OS in 8 meg of ram it was 4.1.3
(actually did it with 4 meg once as well).  and it was barely tolerable
with X-windows.  I did have Solaris 2.3 and 2.6 in 16 meg (already loaded,
took out most of the ram after the fact), bad bad bad.

I did have a 32 meg Sparc 1+ handling a 1000 user company email (SMTP
server for all incoming & outgoing), anonymous FTP server, news server, DNS
server, web server, proxy server, NFS server for an email database
(ccmail), and even ran some user logins and apps.  Eventually I got to
upgrade it to a Sparc 2 with 64 meg (the SS2 cost about $90 at the time of
upgrade), and then finally got budget for a pair of 250's to do it
right.  Ah, the good old days.

Gil