[SunRescue] Vertical Limit fild computers

David Cantrell rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Feb 22 13:06:50 CST 2001

--JP+T4n/bALQSJXh8

William Staniewicz <wstan at localhostnl.demon.nl> wrote:

> I guess I really know I am "into" computers when I go
> to see a movie and try to figure out what models, OS's
> window managers, etc they are running when they show
> a terminal in a scene.
>=20
> That leads me to the movie "Vertical Limit". Anyone know
> what kind of computers they had set up in the field camp?
> I am referring to the notebook types that looked like they
> were built into some kind of military field case. They seemed
> very rugged and literally bullet proof.

I haven't seen the film, but that would describe several models made by
Husky / Itronix (http://www.wpihusky.com, www.itronix.com).  When I was
working for GEC Marconi Communications, who had contracts with various
dodgy third-world dictatorships to outfit their military, we used them.
I bought one of their earlier models recently on ebay, and use it as a
portable CP/M machine :-)

I believe that Panasonic also did something similar with some of their
laptops.  British Telecom and various oil companies use them out in the
field.

--=20
David Cantrell | root at alphacomplex.org | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

   Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced

** I read encrypted mail first, so encrypt if your message is important **

--JP+T4n/bALQSJXh8

--JP+T4n/bALQSJXh8--