[SunRescue] My First Sun Box.

tadghe at surf-ici.com tadghe at surf-ici.com
Fri Feb 16 18:56:59 CST 2001

      Good Evening!

Today was a Bright day.

I have my first Sun box, an old IPX and a external drive (says 425 MB on front,
but 1.05GB on bottom).

I have a Ton of questions, so please bear with me.

because I have no doc's, keyboard, mouse, monitor, or CDROM for the box.
What's going to be the cheapest way for me to get this up and running?

I know I can use some sort of Serial Connection in place of a monitor, but how
do I reload the OS without a CDROM? (or where can I find a CDROM drive for it
cheap?) I do have an old NCR 4x SCSI cdrom drive (pulled from an old NCR PC),
is there a way to use that?

Alternatively, since I don't have any idea what the passwords on the box will
be, can I boot into single user mode and wipe them and use it as is?

Where can I find doc's on the IPX? I don't see much on docs.sun.com for
anything tihs old.

Thanks for your help!

Christopher.