[SunRescue] Cooling

Mike Hebel rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Feb 14 11:13:39 CST 2001

>>Trying to dig a basement in most of Central & South Florida will only
>>get you wet.   Some places are less than three feet above the water
>>table.

Oddly enough Illinois has several houses that are like that.  Some even had
underground springs that caused the owners to have to fill their basement to
the top with gravel because of health/zoning laws.  Ours only floods if the
rain is _extremely_ heavy and the sump-pump can't keep up.  I lost a machine
and a printer  that way.  (Of course it doesn't help that the storm drains
on our street only have 2 inch pipe in them.  They don't drain near fast
enough.)  Thus everything, within reason, is at least a foot off the floor.
I found some nice workbenches and angle-iron cubes that serve this purpose
quite nicely.

>>I had similar cooling problems in an apartment I used to rent.  In
>>winter (yes, we have winter here, well, in North Florida, anyway), I
>>would have the window open, even when it was in the 30's outside.  Kept
>>the room comfortable.  In the summer, I had the window unit running 24x7
>>and the door closed.  The temp would vary from about 68 to 76 degrees F.

The basement actually stays cool with all my systems running at once.  Of
course I still have not started up the room heater^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Microvax
II.  ;-)

Mike Hebel