[SunRescue] [OT] Problem setting up Intel print server

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Feb 12 14:53:35 CST 2001

OK - you can go to www.intel.com/network/go/netportupdate.htm  or http://support.intel.com/support/netport/10100/software.htm
and download both firmware and client.  Once you install the client, update should be very easy by upload the firmware.  Here is the procuredures:

ou can update existing print servers when you purchase a new product with a new firmware version or after you download new firmware from Intel's Web site.  To check Intel's Web site, see Software Updates.

To update with Netport Manager

1   Select one or more NetportExpress print servers to update.
2   From the Utilities menu, click Update.
3   If the update file you want is not listed, click Browse and locate the file.

To update with Web Netport Manager

1   In your Web browser, browse to the IP address of the print server.  How?
2   Click Options and click Update.
3   Browse to or type the path to an update file and click Submit.

or in the alternative

Update PRO firmware using TFTP

You can use Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP) to install new firmware on NetportExpress PRO and PRO/100 print servers. You must have access to a UNIX* host running the TFTP daemon containing the update files.

Tip:  The easiest way to update a print server is with Netport Manager. See Update a NetportExpress print server.

To update

Follow steps 1-4 to initialize the TFTP daemon. If it?s already running, skip to step 5.

1   Edit the /etc/inetd.conf file. From your workstation, type an entry for your TFTP daemon. For example, (for Solaris* users) type on one line:

tftp dgram upd wait root /usr/sbin/in.tftpd in.tftpd -s /usr/local/tftpboot

where /usr/local/tftpboot is the TFTP home directory.

2   Save the inetd.conf file.
3   Use grep to get the inetd daemon process ID. You?ll need this to reinitialize the inetd daemon. Type on one line:

ps -ef | grep -v grep | grep inetd

Output example:

root 104 1 80 Dec 13 ? 0:01 /usr/sbin/inetd -s

where 104 is the inetd daemon process ID.

4   To reinitialize the inetd daemon. Type:

kill -HUP process_ID

where process_ID is the process ID of the inetd daemon obtained in step 3 above (104 in the example).

5   Type

cp /usr/intl/nppro.upd /usr/local/tftpboot

where /usr/local/tftpboot is the TFTP home directory.

6   To connect to the print server, type:

telnet netportexpress_ip_address

where netportexpress_ip_address is the IP address of the NetportExpress print server you are updating.

7   From Telnet?s main menu, choose Utilities, then choose Network Update.
8   Enter the TFTP server IP address and the path and filename of the network update file. The network update filename is nppro.upd.
9   Choose yes and continue the network update. Network Update closes the Telnet connection.

Do not disconnect the print server?s power source until the Activity light is green.

When Network Update is complete, you can type:

telnet NetportExpress _IP_address

to communicate with the NetportExpress print server.

If Network Update fails, check the UNIX host configuration and the NetportExpress print server IP address. Then repeat the network update process.