[SunRescue] Seagate Hawk misbehavior

jeff borisch rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Feb 6 14:05:07 CST 2001

Hi Michael,
This is strange, I've had one do exactly the same! Mine came from an ss1
that I rescued and was being tested in an external case on another machine.

I had speculated that the bearings were going bad and when the RPMs went low
out of normal the drive motor would cut out completely--sort of as a self
protective measure. Sometimes it would be able to start back up and other
times not. Sometimes it would complete a format, sometimes it would shut
down as you describe.

Note I could not hear the drive slow down at all before the motor cut out.
This is total speculation I surmised from the one time I was playing with a
crashed drive. I had the top off and was touching the platters. When I
slowed down the rotation of the platters, the heads would park themselves.
The behavior sounds like what is happening with our Hawks.

Like you I have tried messing with the auto spin up jumpers. I wasn't able
to get any good results from it. Mine sure is loud. That was another thing
that lead me to the bearing hypothesis. They might just be loud though.

Other things I could look at:
Trying a different power supply--Marginal current ratings might affect it.
Does the power LED go off when it quits? Mine does.

hope this helps,
jeffrey