[SunRescue] Salvaging a big case to use as drive enclosure?

David Rouse rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Feb 3 09:21:52 CST 2001

My Apple Network Server has bitten the dust -- no startup chime, no LCD
display and no amount of card resetting or RAM pulling helps. The machine
powers up, but doesn't do anything past that. I'm guessing bad CPU card,
motherboard or ROM (?).

The ANS's case contains seven HD trays that right now are filled with a DDS2
tape drive, CD-ROM, and five Seagate ST15150W's (Fast/Wide SCSI II, separate
power connector from SCSI cable).

Sitting on top of the ANS is an Sun IPX. How crazy would it be to bypass the
ANS's SCSI chain and cable the DDS2 and CD-ROM to the IPX's built-in SCSI
port and then connect the drives to an FBSE? I know I wouldn't have any
hot-plug ability, but I do need the space those drives provided.

Also, all my backups were written to the ANS's DDS2 using AIX's version of
ufsdump (backup, I think?). Can a Sun recover anything from these tapes?

--
drouse