I love my 670 - was- Re: [SunRescue] blah blah... (fwd)

MartinWedelsun at minor-element.net MartinWedelsun at minor-element.net
Thu Oct 26 01:59:05 CDT 2000

--
Martin Wedel
sun at minor-element.net
http://www.minor-element.net/

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 06:56:17 +0000 (GMT)
From: Martin Wedel <sun at minor-element.net>
To: fernande at internet1.net
Subject: Re: I love my 670 - was- Re: [SunRescue] blah blah...

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000 fernande at internet1.net wrote:

> > on it,and like him, I even thought about using the 670 and this box as
> > endtables, uber-geek furniture if you will...
>
> What!! end tables, that means you have to make room for furniture!!

Yeah, I have a really swingin' pad, let me tell ya...

> >    As a side note, I had a 670 shipped from San Diego to St Louis for
> > might be able to find a VME case closer to home.  It seems all
> larger/interesting Sun equipment is in either PA or CA.  It happens like
> that all the time, when I hear of something, or see something in Ebay.

PA and Cali must have had great Sun salesmen, or else they are Sun
hardware 'dumps'

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=474314524
is the 670...
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=476779176
is a board. Mike N has some boards too, last I checked, and I've had
nothing but good transactions with him....

IF you decide to bid for that mainboard, email me, I'm bidding on it right
now to have as a spare, if it goes for cheap, I just don't want to get in
a bidding war with ya. I'll conceed.. ")

> >   All in all, I love my 670. Visitors are always impressed, and you can't
> > beat yanking the ole VME cards around from time to time. Currently it's
> > configured as a 514 (SM 512 x 2 ) 576MB of RAM (thanks Mike N ) with the
> > second revision main board, 155MB ATM (Still trying to get LANE working
> > properly on my GRF ) with some appropriately loud and heavy full height
> > 9GB drives. I use it as a boot server for some classics, and for streaming
> > mp3s throughout the house, not to mention it's amazing ability to heat
> > several rooms...
>
> Ok, since I haven't actually gotten a Sun yet, some of those terms are a
> mystery to me, SM 512 x 2, 155ATM, LANE, GRF??

SM512 were the dual SM51 procs on one double width mbus card. 155ATM,
155Mb atm card, one which I am (trying) to run LANE LAN Emulation, I just
can't get the LANE group to work with my FDDI/Ethernet bridge group (on my
GRF router) so that I can eliminate the 10MB ethernet that's onboard.
GRF : (Goes Really Fast) Ascend Communications GRF 400 router, before they
were bought out by lucent. Overkill for my application, but it does have a
FDDI blade, a 2 port OC3 blade and 2 8 port 10/100 ethernet.

> > Maybe I should start a 670/690/2000 fan club. I just need some "my other
> > computer is a 670" stickers for my sparcbook.
>
> How does the 2000 fit in with the 6xx series?  I see 2000 boards on Ebay
> sometimes, but I didn't think they were VME?

2000 was the replacement for the 6XX series, faster and
different architecture, up to 20 procs, if I remember right, and DAMNED
large (for home use). Full rack size. I lump it in the same group merely
for size considerations ;). I actually have the opportunity to
get the chassis for one from the local college, I just have no idea where
I'd put it...

> Chad Fernandez
> Michigan, USA

- Martin