[SunRescue] we're all just spoiled (was: re: IPC)

Cyrus M. Reed reedc at cc.wwu.edu
Mon Oct 23 20:34:48 CDT 2000

IIRC, the 1meg cache chips only run on certain *expensive* (well, maybe
not anymore) motherboards.  I know my PR440FX board won't.  It 1MB
cache does run at full CPU speed though.  The new Xeon chips have up to
4MB of cache at CPU speed as well, IIRC, but they are significantly more
expensive.  512k cache chips can be had for around $75 (try
www.compgeeks.com), and they should work in the same boards that the 256k
cache chips do.

-Cyrus