[SunRescue] [OT] Hard drive testing

Patrick Giagnocavo a222 at redrose.net
Sun Oct 22 12:48:46 CDT 2000

on 10/21/2000 10:43 PM, Mike Nicewonger at twmaster at twmaster.com wrote:

> Hi Gang,
>
> I am looking for either a hardware or software based hard disk testing
> solution for my workshop. If hardware based I don't want to spend a ton of
> $$ on a machine, if software based I really don't care what OS or machine it
> runs on. I have a bunch of drives, mostly SCSI, I want to do comprehensive
> tests and other things like low level formats, etc.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions!
>
> Mike N

I would suggest you check out IOMETER, which is a free Windows NT and
Solaris/x86 piece of software from Intel.

It does "raw" testing, so OS differences won't show up (like different
aspects of filesystems), but it does work with both SCSI and IDE drives.
You can set it up to do a number of different tests, including some kind of
network testing.

I do know that hard drives companies like Maxtor use this tool for some of
their testing.

homepage:

http://developer.intel.com/design/servers/devtools/iometer/

you could also use a combination of the "bonnie" benchmarks plus dd to test
drives.

./patrick