[SunRescue] 690mp & 240VAC

jcarverjcarver at ipns.com jcarverjcarver at ipns.com
Sun Oct 22 12:48:44 CDT 2000

Nick,

What he is referring to is also the the Code in this country. The NEC
(National Electrical Code) states that all installations will provide
one point of "Bonding" where the Neutral and Ground systems are in fact
tied together. On a residential service, this usually occurs in the
customer breaker panel. If you look very closely you will notice that
there is either a tie strap between the ground and neutral busses or
that
one of the screws holding the neutral buss bar in the panel is tied into
the panel can itself. If you are getting major sparks and flashes,
PLEASE
check that you have a good water pipe bond and adequate ground rods for
your system. Most power Companies no longer pay customer claims for open
neutrals. Not only is the relation between ground and neutral an issue,
but with an open neutral the voltage on either leg of your service can
increase and decrease dramatically as load changes. 70 volts will do
nasty things to your fridge and freezer if the compressor motors try to
run. On the issue of water pipe bonds, don't make a trap for yourself
by placing pieces of PVC between you and the street.

				Jim Carver