[SunRescue] Is anyone selling

KenHansenn2vip at bellatlantic.net KenHansenn2vip at bellatlantic.net
Tue Oct 17 08:47:45 CDT 2000

Well, I think you are going to have a rought time getting close to that
price range...

You might find a low-cost SPARCbook, but that would most likely be 85 Mhz
CPU, 32 Meg RAM and 1.2 Gig HD.

A pretty decent SS5 could be gotten inthat range, but your monitor
expectations blow almost any system out of the water! A 19" or 20" monitor
will consume half your money, leaving you an (optomistic) $200 for a fast
machine with HD & RAM.

For true learning value, anything like an SS5/70 Mhz system w/64+ Meg RAM is
fine, beyond that, you are spending a lot of money for your system. An
SS5/70 will boot in a rasonable time frame, be fairly responsive (dependent
on RAM), and have a useful life for another year or two.

I would consider the following a good start:

http://www.computerfriend.com/templates/frmTemplateE.asp?CatalogID=146&Zoom=
Yes&SubFolderId=23
    A SS5/110 w/64 Meg RAM, keyboard & mouse for $189

http://www.computerfriend.com/templates/frmTemplateE.asp?CatalogID=167&Zoom=
Yes&SubFolderId=20
    A 20" Sun GDM-20D10 monitor for $129

    http://www.hitechcafe.com/eshop/product.asp?dept%5Fid=7&sku=DGHS%2D39110
    A 9 Gig SCA HD for $129

    http://www.memoryx.net/5402443.html
    A $25 HD bracket (for above)

Total cost:

    SS5/110 w/64 Meg RAM $189
    20" Monitor $129
    9 Gig SCSI HD $129
    HD Bracket (for above) $25

For a system price of $$472 - If you decide to forgo the monitor and use a
PC monitor, you could shave about $100 off that price (VGA adapters go for
around $30).

This system gives you the ability to run both Solaris *and* Linux (by virtue
of it's large HD, enough room for both). And 64 Meg RAM, while not a large
amount by modern standars, will go a long way towards decent performance.
One caveat though, at this price, the system may have 8 8 Meg DIMMs, meanig
that to upgrade the RAM, you will have to "shelve" existing RAM, since the
unit only has 8 DIMM slots. Also, a 32 Meg DIMM for an SS/5 can run you
about $2.50/meg (don't ask, it just does. Memory/X has a 32 Meg DIMM for
$78 - see http://www.memoryx.net/ss532.html )...

You might find a better deal, but not by much in that price range. If it is
an option, you should really try and save up enough to get an Ultra 1/170 or
so, the performance will be vastly superior, but the cost will apprach $1K
quite quickly.

I hope this helps,

Ken