[SunRescue] What could be wrong?

kebabthesheep kebabthesheep at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 16 08:48:54 CDT 2000

> > I have a SparcStation2 here. It used to work. Now
> when you turn it on it
> > starts out on a blank black screen, after sitting
> for a few it blinks

> help. The keyboard lights
> > don't blink on at all during "boot" (or whatever
> it's doing) either.

Like he said - check the cable.  The keyboard will
always 'beep' and flash it's light on power up - it is
it's way of saying

"i'm alive.  Don't know about what i'm connected
to...but i've got power"

Make sure you haven't knackered the delicate little
pins in the plug (on either end) it's easy to do, and
infuriating.

Recently I was getting bizarre scsi behaviour when
trying a disk pack with different boxes - turned out
the (so-called) scsi2 connector had a bent pin :-/

If the cable is OK (try another if you can) Did you
spill coffee in the keyboard recently?  You haven't
stood on it have you?  Not speaking from experience,
*at all* Nope.  Keyboards do die, even suns ones.
It's sad, but true.  It deserves a good burrial in
sacred earth :)

Dave.