[SunRescue] Re: MP on rescued suns, RH7/sparc

RobertNovakrnovak at indyramp.com RobertNovakrnovak at indyramp.com
Sat Oct 7 11:27:49 CDT 2000

>From: Michael-John Turner <mj at turner.org.za>
>
>This doesn't really answer your question, but auric.debian.org, the main
>Debian GNU/Linux archive machine, is running Debian 2.2. It's a dual
>450Mhz Ultra 60 with 1.5G RAM and kernel 2.2.17. Nice machine :)

That sounds pretty sweet. Fastest I've ever run Linux on in the SPARC
world was a 360mhz Ultra 5, and I didn't even have time to play with it
before leaving that job. I had a 4gb 4x300 UE450 at work at one point, but
didn't make the time to try it out with Linux.

>There is no RH 7.0 for SPARC AFAIK, but they say there _may_ be a 7.1/7.2
>SPARC release.

>From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
>
>Wrong.  There IS a RH 7.0/SPARC, its just on "engineering hold" right now.

Then there's still no RH 7.0/SPARC release. I thought I'd read somewhere
that they were passing on the 7.0 release, although I don't remember
where.

I'm fairly certain that SuSE 7.0 for SPARC is released and out there, as I
downloaded the ISO images from them and the first two volumes are sitting
here on my coffee table waiting for me to choose which machine to install
them on. I haven't seen it in stores yet, but I rarely see any
SPARC-specific release of any OS in retail stores.

>The SPARC and Alpha releases have always been delayed compared to x86.

This is probably true, although until 7.0 I thought the Alpha releases
were pretty close. I think it was 5.0, the last RH version I actually
looked forward to, where Intel and Alpha came out, and one of their
salespeople promised me SPARC would be out in a month. It never showed up.
Guess I'm glad I didn't pre-order it :-=)

Oh well, I'm off for cuppa #1.

   "And when somebody knows you well Well, there's no comfort like that
  And when somebody needs you Well, there's no drug like that" -- heather nova