[SunRescue] good news

Ken Hansen n2vip at bellatlantic.net
Mon Oct 2 07:42:57 CDT 2000

One of the great virtues of the older SPARC hardware is it's abilty to just
keep plugging along...

An LX/IPX/etc machine with a 13W3 -> VGA adapter feeding a 15" monitor would
make a nice little kitchen counter web/recipe/email machine, and for less
than $150, maybe even less than $100 if you already have the 13W3 -> VGA
adapter (easliy the most expensive item needed).

Off topic (again?), I just got an under 16Meg Linux install on my I-Opener
and it is running great - I showed it too my wife (running Netscape) and her
comment was "ok - why?" I said, "this would make a great terminal for the
kitchen (sleek, 10" display, small keyboard, no fan) - to which she replied
"ok - why?"

She just doesn't get it... but now I can put it on my workbench and not feel
bad about hogging all the equipment!

I have a AMD K6-2/500 system I am building up for her to displace her AMD
K5/166 system from several years ago, but I think I'll put that off for a
while (out of spite!?) ;^)

Ken