[SunRescue] Converting Classic Xs to Classics

Harry Regan harry.regan at usa.net
Fri Mar 31 07:50:47 CST 2000

Temporary insanity?  Short attention span?  Too much red meat?  I replaced the
"four bytes" on the not-converted Classic X, rebooted and Bingo! It's a
Classic.  (Previously, I had been issuing a "reset", not a "boot").

It turns out that the machine ID for a Classic X and a Classic are the same
(the FAQ only lists it for the Classic), so my fiddling with the machine ID
was really a waste of time.  I killed the machine powered it off, restared it,
changed the four bytes back to the Classic X config, rebooted and -- Bango!--
it's a Classic X.  I killed it again, set the four bytes to Classic mode,
rebooted and-- KaZang!-- it's a Classic again.

My only explanation for for the earlier problems are (1) perhaps there is a
memory restore function in "reset" that does not operate in "boot" from the
PROM. (2) Maybe late hours and gallons of coffee do not make one optimized for
working on computers.

Now, as for the Xterminal1, I haven't found any FAQs or messages about
converting that to operate as a server-- but it sure looks like a Sparc 4 or
5...  Any ideas?

---- Harry J. Regan
---- Phone: 202.310.2719 ---- FAX: 212.202.3923
---- harry.regan at usa.net ---- hregan at lepus.com