[SunRescue] VME Based Sun Workstation

Paul Khoury - Tech Support pkhoury3 at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 18 19:42:37 CST 2000

At 07:30 PM 3/18/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Hello,
>Here's one that's probably unusual for my first post here. I may want to buy
>a VME based Sun3 or 4. The reason is that I may have a line on an old
>Symbolics UX400S board. This is a VME base Lisp Machine for running in a Sun
>Workstation. If I do get this board, I would dearly love to be able to get
>it running.
>
>Ironically enough, a couple of years ago it looked like Symbolics might pull
>back from bankruptcy and during that period I was able to buy a copy of the
>last OS/Lisp system that they shipped, Genera 8.3. So now, unlike most, I've
>got the software but not the hardware...

Wow, Symbolics.  I had an oppurtunity to buy a Symbolics system a while back,
but I didn't because of size, logistics, and my parents didn't want another
thing
to distract me from school... =)

Are they used for Artificial Intelligence?  What exactly is Lisp used for?

I've always wanted something of mainframe or supercomputer power (not
nessecarily current),
don't quite know exactly why...

Just my 2.9 cents.