[SunRescue] SS20 CD-rom issues?

Jonathan Katz jkatz at in.net
Fri Mar 17 09:35:52 CST 2000

Hi!

I got my SS20 care of UPS yesterday (*yay*).

I don't have a real Sun CD-ROM for it, but I do have a Toshiba XM-3401
(not sure if that's the right model number) SCSI CD-ROM drive. It's worked
for installing my IPXs and LXs (so I know it is sun bootable.)

It's an internal drive so the setup is ugly (case off, but it plugs into
the existing power and SCSI cable.)

On my SS20 it will boot the 5.8 (beta) CD, but then complains it can't mount
root. I wish I had the right error messages handy, but it complains that
the disk reports one blocksize while the partition table reports another.

probe-scsi correctly identifies the drive.

When I try to mount the cdrom under the copy of Solaris 7 which is
already running on the box, I get the same error. I get the same error
with other CDs as well. Very weird.

I know the CD-ROM drive works OK, and I know it is sun bootable. What
would keep it from working in the middle of the SCSI chain on the SS20?

I have an external 12x (SGI, but should be sun bootable) CD-ROM I can
snag from the office.

Thanks for any ideas...

-Jon
Jonathan Katz =  J. Random BOFH = http://www.in.net/~jkatz = jkatz at in.net
As overheard on IRC:
"It's 2am, there's 4000 lines of code, eight pieces of hardware; it's
 six hours til I have to be awake, it's dark and I'm wearing sunglasses."
	-- Kira Brown