[SunRescue] 30-pin SIMMS, or Who should I believe?

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Thu Mar 16 15:00:37 CST 2000

I just went down to one of the basements here, and found 24 30-pin simms on
some old 486.  Since the 486s max out at 32MB of ram, and SS2s max out at 64
(from simms), I thought I'd take them with me.  I've got 4x4MB 9-chips
SIMMs, which my simm tester reports as "True Parity SIMMs".  So far,
everything is normal and happy.  The rest of the SIMMs have 3 chips on them,
and are all 1MB (oh well).  Here's the kicker, 12 of these SIMMs show up as
"Logic Chip Parity", which makes sense.  The other 8 show up as "True
Parity" SIMMs.  What gives?  Think the RAM tester is right, and they really
are true parity, or is it mis-interpreting things.  One more note, the 1MB
"True Parity" SIMMs take much much longer to test than the "Logic Chip
Parity" SIMMs.
	Greg