[SunRescue] a bit OT but...

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Thu Mar 16 14:51:16 CST 2000

Linux doesn't scale that far, yet.  I expect when 2.6.x kernels get here
that there may be people who start to play with it, but probably not before
then.  64GB of ram, and 64 procs decked out is way beyond what Linux is
really happy with right now.  I think that threading has a long way to go
before it's as robust and feature rich as Solaris, and just being able to
address that much ram/processors isn't there yet.  As for the E10K, I'm no
longer a 100% believer that all of the crashes are idiot (or rather,
inexperienced) administrators.  My dad's office runs one for Oracle
Financials, and it crashes on a CPU panic on a semi-routine basis.  Which is
not to say that Oracle Financials are any better, but that server does
crash.  :(
	Greg