[SunRescue] SCSI drive rescue!

Richard Close richardc at datel-rail.co.uk
Thu Mar 16 03:02:01 CST 2000

Hi,
 I have a sparcstation 5 with 2 off 1.05G IBM SCSI dirives in. One drive was
making a wierd
noise, a bit like a child's toy laser gun. It did not appear in the output
of probe-scsi either.
So I took it out and looked up the details on the IBM site out of curiosity,
and noticed that
a jumper was set to disable autospinning up.

 Now at this point it occurred to me that the drive was not probably getting
ut to speed by
the noise it was making so I removed the jumper and put the drive back in.
To my suprise
the drive then spun up OK and has been working fine.

 What I was wondering was whether the fault lies with the drive controller
not being able to spin
up on command from the machine, or whatever, and if so will the drive pack
in at any moment?

 I swapped the drives around and tried each one on its own and the fault
appeared to be with the drive.

 Richard.