[SunRescue] PC sony head, usable on sun stuff?

Tim Hauber tim_hauber at STEV.net
Mon Mar 13 08:48:24 CST 2000

rescue at sunhelp.org writes:
>Does this sound like it would work with sun stuff?
>Also, for anyone who has worked with Sony stuff from '94, why does this
>thing have 5 BNCs (right name?) on the back for the video signal?  Hsync
>Vsync Blue Green Red (the red cable was broken, I fixed it, much better
>color now).  Seems kinda non PC-ish to me...
>
>-Jonathan

The general consensus is that separate connectors create less noise in the
connection itself.  It isn't pcish, it is monitorish.  The various
manufacturers did it with 3,4,or 5 BNC connectors, depending on how they
handled Sync signals.  the early high end companies almost all had some
kind of shielded coax plugs, or just independant coax cables (that's what
those funny looking things on a Sun 13w3 plug are, uninterrupted
shielding)  Apparently Apple used 13w3 for some things also, I have an
Apple branded 13w3 cable.   You can get cables from most types of monitor
jack to fit your monitor.  The monitor may also be able to use a 4
connector set up (H and V Sync on one wire) or even 3 (Sync on Green)
Obviously a monitor like this can't utilize power saving modes from newer
computers, so if you hook it to a 24/7 system, I recommend turnig the
monitor off when you aren't using it.
Tim